Monday, December 16, 2013

Eat Healthy With the Brain Doctor’s Wife Cookbook


When I opened this book, the first thing I saw were the meatballs, and they looked great. That, in my biased opinion, follows the iron law of diets; if it doesn’t look good, taste good, smell good, nobody’s going to want to eat it and the diet won’t work!

Tana Amen’s cookbook is full of simple, healthy recipes that don’t require elaborate preparation and aren’t salty or fried. The burritos and rancheros in the breakfast menu are good, but I am not a fan of the smoothies. I’d rather have more recipes that let you retain the fiber, color, and taste of the fruit rather than something you’d drink. On the lunch menu, the seared ahi (a fish I’ve never heard of until now) and cucumber salad are tops, but I’m not sure about the coconut oil. Then again, you’re only searing the outside, so you’re not using so much oil that you’d clog your arteries.

I’ll give this cookbook high marks for sticking to the basics. She uses a lot of seafood and salts are kept low.

No comments:

Post a Comment