Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Agent of Influence


    Jason Hanson is a former CIA operative who applies his spy skills to modern business. His most important lesson (or at least the one that sticks the most) is that you have to sharpen your memory, never relying on the internet or GPS. Always use maps, memorize your destination, and always have alternate transport. The second lesson is that when you travel, you have to know all the bus routes, where to catch the bus or train, always have spare cash, and now where you can get a room. I remember the time when I failed to plan my trip thoroughly, and almost missed my Greyhound in Dover, Delaware. The fear wasn’t extreme, as the area wasn’t dangerous, and the police weren’t hunting down the out-of-towners or anything of the like. The fear as that I’d be stuck there overnight, and if I couldn’t book another hotel room for the evening, I’d be toast. On a smart move, I kept spare cash in my shoe, and knew the locations of all the motels in the region. Traveling light was a big help too.

The first chapter is devoted to the science of preparation and routine. It includes listening (pay attention, talk less, study others, don’t judge) and how the behavior of others is always an indicator. The second chapter is about social situations and how to make people like you. Paying with cash is recommended, because it serves two purposes; it makes people think you have money, and it makes them feel indebted to you. Passing bills can also help buy your way out of trouble.

Hanson shows how all this can be used to audit employees, screen out the ones who aren’t trustworthy, and scope out new clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment