Tuesday, May 12, 2015

So Loud, It Hurts by Elaheh Bos

Gus (who appears to be about 5) is looking forward to his birthday party, except that loud noises terrify him. Hearing everyone sing “happy birthday” is too much, and he flees to his room, hides in his playhouse, covers his ears. Fortunately, his father realizes what’s going on, and they talk about the troubles people have.

This book is good for kids who have problems with loud noises. It shows them how it’s nothing to be ashamed of, and that everyone has their unique quirks and phobias. As Gus’ father explains, his grandmother prefers colorful clothes, and his aunt has a high shrill voice, so everyone has something that’s unusual. In the scene where Gus initially runs to his room, he feels too ashamed to come back, and this is something that a lot of kids with Asperger’s are facing. They’re afraid that their fears and phobias will anger people, and I’m afraid they’re right. After you turn down too many party invitations, you’re friends start excluding you. It’s tough for a kid to handle.

I can really relate to this book, because I had the same problem as this boy. Growing up, I hated noisy crowds, unfamiliar situations, and having to speak before groups of people. Worse, at my grandfather’s Synagogue, he’d want me to sing in front of the 900 people there, and it was terrifying. If I refused, he would give me a resentful look, and my father would bully me into cooperating so as not to displease his important father-in-law.


I have one fault with this book, and that is the way the parents DON’T handle it. If you know that your kid has a problem with noises, you need to set things up beforehand to avoid trouble. Leave out the foods he doesn’t like to smell, don’t sing, make sure there’s plenty of room for everyone. This kid feels overwhelmed when they sing “happy birthday,” so why not leave it out? Just cut to the cake (literally) because that’s what everyone’s there for, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment